Case study: Barclays.
Barclays was the 2018 Winner of the Top Scottish Employers for Working Families Awards- Large Private Sector category Barclays was the 2018 Winner of the Top Scottish Employers for Working Families Awards- Large Private Sector category.
Time to shine
Barclays recognises that diverse groups of people have diverse needs, values, priorities and perspectives. They aim to be an employer of choice for talent across generations and life stages. They achieve this by providing tools and programmes that enable employees to balance their work lives with personal commitments, while providing them with career development opportunities at each life stage. 74% of the Barclays team work flexibly.
An inclusive, supportive, flexible and diverse workforce is a business agenda driven from the top: "An environment that values experience and empowers employees to prioritize their professional and personal lives is one that allows us all to succeed together"-- Mark McLane, Global Head of Diversity and Inclusion. “Barclays will only succeed if we relentlessly focus on building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment”. -- Jes Staley, Group Chief Executive, Barclays PLC.
Dynamic Working is integral to how Barclays operates, linking back to their Diversity and Inclusion strategy, values and behaviours and ways of working. This is shared at interview stage, online, at events and through case studies and campaigns.
- Regular employee and line manager events to challenge perceptions and unconscious bias
- Focus on training and support: over 5,000 employees have attended Dynamic Working events and 2,500 managers have attended Dynamic Working clinics
- Role models showcase examples of their dynamic and flex working at all levels of the business
- Family Friendly Working Dashboard for all: to easily share data such as shared parental leave uptake; retention rates for mothers one year after return from maternity leave etc and to show clear targets for progression.
- Mental health awareness sessions for all line managers; perinatal mental health awareness sessions
- Male allies for female talent
- Fathering and Shared Parental Leave events
- Parenting portal; bring your child to work and family festive celebrations;
- Paid caring and emergency leave; enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Employee networks including focus on Gender, Multigenerational; LGBT; Multicultural; Parents and Disability.
"After the birth of my son, I requested 3 months Shared Parental Leave. I would recommend this to any new father. It was a life changing experience, which allowed me some much needed time to establish a strong bond with my son. Barclays were fully supportive of me throughout the process and have a wealth of supporting documentation online to help you with your decision". Craig, Security Team